THE CHRISTIAN VIRTUOUS WOMAN
Basically, according to Christian faith, a virtuous woman is one who is known to be upright and having a noble character, alongside having admirable qualities. The Bible poses a question, asking if such a woman can be found. Looking at the story of women in the Bible, only a few have measured up to the expected standard. Hence, in our churches and believers’ gatherings today, people particularly women, are always encouraged to strive and measure up to the standard of a Virtuous woman.
From the Bible, the following are features of a Virtuous woman:
- Her husband treasured her: Taking a look at the Bible, notably the book of Proverbs, it can be seen that the woman talked about, had a blissful marriage and a wonderful home. Her marriage did not hit the rocks, and she was treasured by her husband because she had three outstanding qualities namely: Her trustworthiness, her affection and her influence.
- She exhibited full-scale capability: The book of Proverbs shows that she was a woman who was very capable, as she was able to effectively manage the affairs of her home. This particular chapter mentions that she was very industrious, she was prudent, and she exuded great energy, which was evident in the day she managed the resources of the house.
- Her children loved her: For a woman to be loved by her children, it implies that her deeds have been worthy of emulation. Proverbs tells us the reason why her children loved her: She was loved because of her thoughtfulness, as she always thought of others before herself. Also, she was known to be a disciplinarian, alongside exhibiting wisdom in the process.
- She exhibited generosity: For those who lived around her, the Virtuous woman ensured that she showed practical Grace as a Christian. She exhibited Charity to the needy, she looked after them well. She was also very generous, as she gave anything she had. She also went lengths to delivering alms herself, which is a practical way.
- The Lord was pleased by her actions: Wrapping up the concluding chapter of the book of Proverbs, it was said that she was pleasing to the Lord. She made efforts to please the Lord, as she was endeared to obey him.